Among your camping essentials should be the best camping mattress. Good sleep is vital if you want to enjoy your camping. Now, it’s not every mattress with a camping mattress label that will be ideal for camping. You want a durable mattress that’s also easy to use, store, and transport.
We all know how important a good nigh sleep is, therefore without a good camping mattress, you won´t be able to completly enjoy your outdoor adventure. A bad night sleep leads to fatigue, irritability and bad humour amongst other consequences.
Factors to consider when buying a camping mattress
- Ease of inflating and deflating
- Weight limit
- Repair kit
Luckily, we´ve come up with a list to make things easier for you and allow you to perform an informed decision when buying your camping mattress.
The Top 5 Best Camping Mattress
1) SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattress (BEST CHOICE)
- ComfortCoil technology (40 internal air coils)
- SureGrip bottom
- Patented one-click internal pump (for under 4 mins inflation and deflation)
- Waterproof top
- Double height (raised sides to prevent rolling off the mattress)
Under the camping mattress category, this queen-size SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattress is the best choice for several reasons:
First, when you’re out camping, you’ll probably be too tired, and the last thing you want is to spend a lot of time trying to set up your mattress. With this air mattress, it will take you less than four minutes to inflate or deflate thanks to the quieter patented one-click internal pump, and it will remain inflated for as long as you want it to.
Second, air mattresses tend to slide easily with the slightest movement, but not this one. It features a SureGrip bottom that enhances its stability and firmness, so it won’t be sliding or slipping as you turn in your sleep. Further, the mattress has forty internal air coils that help it retain a flat sleeping surface while also improving its durability, so if you’re a regular camper, this will suit you.
Again, apart from being huge (it’s a queen-size), this air mattress has what they call a Premium “Double Height” as it has dual chambers, so it’s more raised compared to most air mattresses of the same size and with the raised sides, you won’t be feeling like you’re going to roll off the mattress. This makes it the best air mattress for people who love raised beds as it enables you to enjoy the same even when out camping.
Lastly, this mattress’ top is not only extra thick but also waterproof, which significantly adds to its durability. This last bit is very important because you won’t constantly be hoping that it won’t rain as that would mean you will be sleeping on a wet surface otherwise.
- Built to offer a super comfortable sleeping experience
- Constructed from puncture-resistant and Eco-friendly PVC
- Doesn’t slip or slide (the SureGrip technology provides suction grip on flat, hard surfaces)
- It’s raised (double-height and raised sides)
- Waterproof top
- Easy to inflate and deflate
- The mattress is quite heavy because it has heavy-duty vinyl that adds to its durability
- Has no handle or grip so moving it around once inflated might be a challenge
2) Exped Megamat 10 Insulated Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad (Single & Duo) (PREMIUM)
- The right thickness for a camping mattress (4-5″ thick inflated)
- Lightweight (7.5 lbs. when packed)
- Suitable for 4 seasons use
- Comes with a compact mini pump and a repair kit
- High-quality build
This here is by far the best sleeping pad for camping. It is thick, but not too thick to make it a challenge to use when out camping (think storage space and rolling it up).
If you see a 5-year warranty for an air mattress, then that’s the first sign that it’s of good quality, and that’s why this is our premium pick. It is a single and duo camping mattress /pad, and it’s designed for four seasons so you can use it all-year-around.
This sleeping pad is suitable for campers looking for a comfortable sleeping surface without all the bulkiness that comes with most camping air mattresses. It has a sleek design, but still very durable.
The pad has memory foam inside, so it does not feel like the usual plastic air bubbles. The memory foam condenses when deflated, then expands easily when inflating. The general material combo in this pad makes it very comfortable even though it’s not too thick.
It is designed to self-inflate, but you still get a compact mini hand pump that allows you to quickly and easily inflate it to your desired firmness for a comfortable sleep.
Also, the best part about this mattress is that it comes with a carry sack that also has a carrying strap. It’s easy to pack up as it’s not too thick as mentioned above, and also lightweight even for an average person.
- Easy to use camping mattress
- Easy to transport
- Self-inflating (takes 1-2 hours and to around 90%)
- Comes with a compact mini hand pump to help you adjust the firmness to your liking (takes around 3 mins)
- Deflates easily and quickly
- Built from high-quality materials for durability
- Comes with a repair kit and a carry sack
- It takes longer to self-inflate and doesn’t inflate fully, but the hand pump will help inflate it fully, and it’s fast.
3) Intex Classic Downy Airbed, Full (BEST VALUE)
- Supports up to 600 pounds
- Raised (8.75″ off the floor)
- Has a Flocked top
- Waterproof top
- 2-in-1 valve
- Queen size
This is another camping mattress with a waterproof top. One thing about this camping airbed is that it was designed with all the factors that can affect its firmness in mind, and that is location, humidity, and temperature. As such, it performs well under various camping conditions, so it won’t limit you when choosing camping locations.
What’s more, the airbed has a flocked surface that’s super comfortable and soft. Also, this top design keeps your beddings from sliding off as you sleep. This is what most people hate about airbeds. Again, the bottom is also designed to prevent the bed from sliding on the surface as you turn or get on and off. And, the bed is raised to give it the perfect height for users to get on and off easily. The mattress’s height is important, especially for people who don’t want to feel like they are lying on the floor, and it also makes it possible to sit comfortably with your legs on the floor.
Also, this camping airbed is super easy to set up. It features a 2-in-1 valve with an extra wide opening to fit even larger pump nozzles to allow faster inflating and deflating. And, it comes with a carry bag that makes traveling with your mattress a bliss.
- Folds easily and compactly for easy travel or storage
- It’s raised thus more comfortable
- Inflates and deflates easily thanks to the 2-in-1 valve with an extra-wide opening
- Comes with a carry bag
- Very durable and can be used as an every night mattress for a long time, but you’ll need to add air from time to time to mention the firmness
- Has a flocked top to prevent your sheets from slipping
- It doesn’t come with a pump, but it’s compatible with most pumps, so if you have one already, you might not need to buy another.
- It might deflate a little when it gets too cold, but you can quickly add air to regain the desired firmness.
4) Therm-a-Rest 3D Self-Inflating Foam Camping Mattress MondoKing (2018 Model)
- 4″ thick
- Dual valves
- Weighs 6.75 pounds
- Comes with a stuff sack that has a carrying handle
- Mateable (has vertical sidewalls)
For people who love self-inflating camping mattresses, here is the second option on our list. It’s a 2018 model, and very good quality.
When out camping, you want a mattress that’s both comfortable and lightweight, and the Therm-a-Rest 3D Self-Inflating Foam Camping Mattress, MondoKing offers you both. It’s very easy to use as it comes with a carrying bag that has a carrying handle, and this makes it super easy to transport. Again, setting it up is easy because it is self-inflating. All you do is take it out of the sack and wait for it to inflate. However, you might not like its self-inflated firmness, but you can improve this with just a few breaths.
Again, if you will be camping under cold weather, this is the best camping mattress for cold weather because it’s incredibly warm, and it does not deflate as most air mattresses do when it get cold. And, it’s a mateable airbed. If you and your camping partner want to sleep near each other on different mattresses without slipping in the gap between your mattresses, this is the mattress to get. It has vertical sidewalls that will hold two mattresses side-by-side, and that’s why it’s called the universal couple kit.
- It’s soft and very comfortable
- Packs small and comes with a stuff sack that has a carrying handle
- Best luxury mattress for camping
- Doesn’t take up much space
- Very well insulated from below thus warm
- Thick enough to prevent pressure points
- Might not be the best for camping in a hot environment as it’s so well insulated
5) Aerobed Extra Bed with Built-in Pump, Queen
- Queen size, Measures 78″ x 60″ x 9″ inflated
- Made of puncture-resistant PVC Vinyl
- Adjustable air pressure
- Built-in inflator
If you are looking for an inexpensive camping mattress that will offer you all the comfort and good sleep you need when out camping, get this Aerobed Extra Bed. It is designed for use both outdoor and indoors. It has a flocked fleece top surface that will not only make it more comfortable to sleep on but will also keep your sheets from slipping off.
What makes it good for camping is that it’s super easy to use. It has a built-in pump, and it’s easy to inflate and deflate. It also folds up easily for storage or transport, and it’s lightweight. Again, it is made of puncture-resistant PVC vinyl, which unfortunately produces some noise as you toss and turn in your sleep though not loud enough to be annoying, so you won’t be worried about your bed getting a puncture when you’re out camping.
- Inflates and deflates easily and quickly
- Super comfortable
- Folds and stores easily
- Good size (full-size)
- Very convenient and reliable
- Comes with a storage bag
- Has an easily cleanable surface
- The motor can be a bit noisy
Camping is fun, but it gets even better if you can wake up fresh with no painful pressure points, and this is only possible if you are sleeping on the best camping mattress. To get the best, you have to choose one with all the factors to consider in mind. The price might be right for your budget, but if it’s not built for your camping environment, then don’t get it. We hope the above reviews will be of help and that you will find that mattress that will give you a great camping experience! Good Luck.